06 March 2018

Sony Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi BDPS3700

As my BDP-BX110 was showing a black screen about a third to half the times a blu-ray was started and with the great black friday deals, I decided it was time to replace it. The question was with what model. I looked at several standard blu-ray players in the $50 range and 4k blu-ray players in $150 range. Considering the price difference of the players and the fact that 4k blu-rays cost more, those players were quickly eliminated. After looking at the online reviews from other users, I decided to go with the Sony BDPS3700.

TLDR: 4/5 stars

Pros

  • Small size and design
  • Remote can turn on TV
  • HDMI-CEC can control player
  • Includes Netflix and Amazon Prime Video

Cons

  • Occasional noise of spinning disc
  • Sometime takes a while to recognize there is a disc in
  • Brick style transformer plug

Design

I was was happily surprised by the fact that this player is smaller than my old one. The player is only about 9 inches wide, 1.5 inches tall, and 7.5 inches deep. I am also pleased that it has a flat top which makes it better for putting the dvd case on top of the player.
However, I was disappointed to find that it now uses a rather large transformer style plug, but at least the wire detaches from the back of the player to allow for cable routing.
The fact that the entire front plate aside from the buttons drops down when the dvd tray pops out is a cool factor. The only thing that would have been slicker would be if it was a slot loading.

Remote

The remote has shrunk quite a bit and the buttons feel a little bit crammed, but at least they fixed the creaking battery cover from the BX110.
BDPS3700 remote on left; BX100 remote on right


Wi-Fi

The wi-fi setup was fast and straight forward. The connection is strong, but I also keep it near the router :-)

Noise

Occasionally, the player makes a large amount of noise when spinning DVDs. It sounds like the disc is not quite balanced. I have not been able to pinpoint the cause. If I find more information, I will update the post.

Update 2018-08-23

I was able to source the noise to the blu-ray player running into a small plastic bar next to it. The player does seem to walk a tiny amount with use.

No comments:

Post a Comment