30 July 2020

Let's Encrypt SSL Certificate for Dynamic DNS Host

As I was tired of having to add an exception when wanting to visit my personal website, I decided it was time to use Let's Encrypt to get a signed SSL certificate. Luckily it was easier than I thought. Here are the simple steps that I followed.
  1. Add the ppa repository
    • sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot
  2. Install the cli tool
    • sudo apt install python-certbot-apache
  3. Run the cli tool
    • sudo certbot --apache -d <dynamic dns host name>
  4. Answer the questions that included:
    • Email Address
    • Select which conf file to add to (For me it was /etc/apache2/sites-available/default-ssl.conf)
  5. Check that my SSL certificate was now signed

TODO: Automate the renewal

No comments:

Post a Comment